CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lament To Pontiac And Tecumseh


I am so sorry Chief Tecumseh

I could cry dear Pontiac;
what has happened to your 
loved ones in the swamp of Sanilac.

Our white ones came en masse 
with their axes and their saws;
how they raped the giant virgins
in the hills of Ogemaw.
How they poisoned all your
water at the flats of Saginaw.
I am so sorry Chief Tecumseh,
I could cry dear Pontiac.

Multitudes of bearded men
as kind as sweet Marquette,
could fill the lakes with tears
as we pitifully regret
that the squashes and the
pumpkins of the Potawotomi
lay fossling 'neaththe landfills we tainted
chemically.

I am so sorry Chief Tecumseh
I could cry dear Pontiac,
that the smog above the
valleys not the writing of
the smoke, or the lights
along the skyline not the
stars above the oaks. Andthe wolves of Osceola are
now playful fatted dogs and the
spirit of Menominee is
lost in acid fog.

Tittabawassee's fishes prove 
too putrefied to eat, as the 
garbage in Mecosta's woods
is dumped in vulgar heaps.
I am so sorry Chief Tecumseh,
I could cry dear Pontiac,
that the screamin wail of
engines of the oily machines,
in the forest of Huron
and the mighty Manistee,
is not the rumble of the
thunder or the eerie osprey's
scream as they mutilate
the land of lages the spirit
left pristine.


And if the coureur de bois
could see the slime beneath
the thaw, they 
would convulse within
their graves across the Keeweenaw.

I hope our gifted doctors
from the school at Washtenaw,
would voyage back
in time with canoes of 
pentathol,
to inoculate your
squaw and your little red 
papoose, against Caucasian
illnesses that choked them
like a noose.


I know our fluent Francais
priest who loved you 
as his own, admired you,
learned from you,
and had his soul
made whole

It seems that change does
rearrange the course of
human plans, like the glacier
slowly sculptured the
prehistoric lands.

Historically what happened
here from the Soo to
Lenawee, is the smothering
of your culture of
intriguing native ways,
that was strangled by the fingers
of our more assertive race;
you could not withstand 
our pressure, you would not
endure our pace.
I am so sorry Chief Tecumseh,
I could cry dear Pontiac.

--Pete Rheaume

0 comments: