CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Ride With Allis




In the arms of Allis' Charm
I took a ride one day,
along the graveled country roads
and scented sickled hay.

I could see as kestrels see
perched on a locust post,
postured as that hawk would sit
sighting from his post,
and looked upon the rabbit's head
and down upon the quail
landing on the ditch bank
so nervous and so frail

What a ride it was! I say it was!
Past rock pile and past bale,
putting up the tiny roads
leading through the swales.
I heard the red wing blackbird scold
as I rolled on by his nest
that was woven in the willows
weeping on the ditches crest.

The freshness in the fragrant air
was gentle and so clean
with the sweetened scent of clover
potpourried upon the breeze.

As I drove on through the open air
the hours slipped on by like moments pass
as children play
beneath the sunlit sky.
I so enjoyed my tractor ride
beyond the county line
I didn't measure distance
in the normal frame of time.

Festooned in fancy pumpkin orange
decaled in shiny black,
that old Allis took me home
clear on to Sanilac.

--Pete Rheaume

0 comments: